ASSOCIATE PLANNER (Health/Environmental Justice Planner)
Under direction, to perform a wide variety of difficult professional duties related to planning, redevelopment, zoning, architectural, and environmental matters; and performs related duties as required.
ALTERNATIVE WORK SCHEDULE:
The position works a 4/10 workweek, Monday through Thursday, 7am to 6pm. City offices are closed on Fridays. City facilities will also close for a period of approximately two weeks in December with time off for non-essential personnel.
To learn more about this position employee benefits, please see the Memorandum of Understanding for the Municipal Employees' Association: Miscellaneous Employees'.
This classification is scheduled to receive a wage increase of 7.22% effective the first full pay period in January 2023 and January 2024.
The Department is tentatively planning to conductVIRTUAL INTERVIEWS during February of 2023.
Key ResponsibilitiesThe following duties and responsibilities are representative of those typically performed by positions assigned to this classification. Any single position may not perform all of these duties and/or may perform similar related tasks not listed here.
- Maintains a current and thorough working knowledge of planning regulations and guidelines published by the City and state and federal agencies.
- Makes on-site physical inspections for code violations and project approval compliance.
- Prepares and updates elements of the City's General Plan.
- Recommends work programs and schedules.
- Conducts thorough and accurate research.
- Acts as an intermediary between interdepartmental and interjurisdictional requirements.
- Researches, analyzes, and interprets social, economic, population, census, and land use data and trends.
- Prepares thorough and accurate written reports on such trends.
- Implements and explains to citizens the California Environmental Quality Act.
- Reviews development and redevelopment proposals and works with developers to reach agreements on acceptable development plans.
- Analyzes submittals for compliance with City planning and development regulations.
- Explains required changes to applicants so that submittals will meet development review requirements.
- Provides useful and helpful information to developers and others regarding local, state, and federal planning and development requirements so that questions and concerns are effectively resolved.
- Understands and is able to apply sound planning and design principles in the analysis of applications and development projects.
- Designs graphic formats to effectively present planning concepts and proposals for public evaluation.
- Organizes, prepares, and processes written reports and documents such as environmental impact reports for complex planning projects and makes oral presentations before the Planning Commission, City Council, and community meetings as required.
- Reviews Planning Commission books for completion and accuracy before distribution.
- Checks and reviews business license applications and assures compliance with land use and zoning regulations.
- Provides the applicant information on land use and zoning regulations in a complete and timely manner.
- Leads and participates in the work of professional and technical staff in data collection, analysis, plan formulation, and implementation of a wide variety of planning policies.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Any combination equivalent to training and experience that could likely provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities will be qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required knowledge, skills, and abilities would be
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree in urban planning, architecture, geography, or closely related field from an accredited college or university; AND
- Two (2) years of professional-level urban planning experience.
- Bachelor's degree in enviornmental planning from an accredited college or university.
- Two (2) years of experience leading community engagement/outreach and public participation.
- Bilingual fluency in English and Spanish.