Under general supervision, to perform skilled, journey level duties in the maintenance and repair of automobiles, trucks, sweepers, graders, tractors, and other power driven and mechanical equipment, including police and fire vehicles; weld, shape, fabricate, and repair various types of mechanical equipment and fittings; and perform related duties as required.
The current vacancy is for a journey-level position to perform maintenance and repair of automotive and other power-driven equipment including heavy equipment, diesel engines, and automobiles.
ALTERNATIVE WORK SCHEDULE:
City employees work a 4/10 workweek, Monday through Thursday. City offices are closed on Fridays. Public Works Equipment shop work hours are Monday through Thursday, 6:00 AM to 4:30 PM, on-call weekends on a rotating basis and when needed for emergency road calls.
The following duties and responsibilities are representative of those typically performed by positions assigned to this classification. Any single position may not perform all of these duties and/or may perform similar related tasks not listed here.
- Inspects automobiles, trucks, and equipment to diagnose problems and determines the extent of necessary rebuilding or repairs.
- Overhauls and repairs automobiles, light and heavy trucks, gasoline and diesel engines, tractors, motorized sweepers, graders, and other automotive and mechanical equipment.
- Inspects, adjusts, and replaces necessary units and related parts, including valves, pistons, main bearings, and assemblies.
- Repairs cooling, fuel, and exhaust systems.
- Repairs and overhauls brakes, electrical, and ignition systems, clutches, transmissions, differentials, and rear axle assemblies.
- Tunes engines using standard-test testing equipment.
- Aligns wheels, uses welding and cutting equipment to fabricate metal parts and equipment such as racks, boxes, hoists, machine supports, and special automobile, truck, and other power-driven body equipment.
- Performs preventive maintenance on vehicles.
- Operates motor equipment in connection with repair and servicing.
- May perform other basic machine shop work incidental to mechanical repairs.
TRAINING & EXPERIENCE:
Apply at: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/nationalca/jobs/3788589/equipment-mechanic?pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
- Three (3) years of full-time skilled, journey level experience in the overhaul and repair of motorized vehicles and equipment, including light and heavy duty diesel equipment.