Please note that while this is a continuous recruitment, applications submitted by January 30, 2023, at 6 PM will be considered for the next examination date.
Attend a Basic Police Academy which meets all training requirements of the California Penal Code and the California Commission on Police Officer Standards and Training (POST), to obtain a comprehensive overview of the criminal justice system and specialized training in various laws, law enforcement techniques, practices and procedures, and first aid and to develop and demonstrate physical fitness and effective usage of firearms.
Participates in orientation and in-house training programs under direct supervision to develop an awareness of the duties, activities, and responsibilities of a Police Officer.
- Graduation from high school or GED equivalent.
- Must be at least 21 years of age at the time of appointment.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident alien who is eligible and has applied for citizenship on or within three (3) years before the date of appointment.
- Must possess a valid California Class C Driver's License at the time of appointment.
- Must meet all requirements for admission to Basic Police Academy recognized by POST.
Ability to: Observe, learn, understand, and interpret various laws and police practices and procedures; analyze problems and have the potential to rationally and calmly take appropriate action in emergency and stressful situations; undergo strenuous physical conditioning; prepare accurate and grammatically correct written reports in English; establish and maintain cooperative working relations with persons of widely varying socio-economic and ethnic backgrounds; understand and carry out oral and written directions.
Written Exam: The City of National City utilizes the POST Entry-Level Law Enforcement Test Battery (PELLETB). For more information regarding this exam please visit www.post.ca.gov. Applicants desiring to waive the written examination are required to submit proof of a valid and recent (issued within 3 months) POST T-Score of 47 or higher.
- Applications will be accepted online only at www.nationalcityca.gov, and all notices will be sent via e-mail.
- Based upon the review of applications received, those applicants who best meet the requirements indicated above will be asked to complete a Pre-Background Questionnaire.
- Applicants who pass the review of their pre-background questionnaire, will be invited to the Written Examination.
- Those applicants scoring at or above the threshold may be invited to a pass/fail Physical Agility Test (PAT).
- Applicants passing the PAT will be required to complete a Personnel Information Questionnaire (PIQ) and may be invited to an oral interview with the Police Department.
Physical Agility Test: The test consists of six elements: Obstacle course/agility run, body drag, chain link fence, solid fence climb, 500-yard run, and 1.5-mile run.