This is a single-position class reporting to the City Librarian. Under general direction of the City Librarian, to plan, direct, and supervise the public services activities of the Library; perform professional library work; and perform related duties as required.
Administration typically works 7am - 6 pm Monday - Thursday; however, this position may work weekdays and weekends, as needed. Library business hours are: Monday - Thursday 10am - 8pm, Friday 10am - 6pm, and Saturday 10am - 5pm; Closed Sundays.
To learn more about this position employee benefits, please review the Benefits Summary for Management group employees. Please click on the following link: Management Benefits.
- SALARY: Up to $110,101 annually, depending on experience and qualifications.
- With an annual performance evaluation rating of satisfactory or above, this position will be receiving a salary increase of 3.26% in February of 2024.
The following duties and responsibilities are representative of those typically performed by positions assigned to this classification. Any single position may not perform all of these duties and/or may perform similar related tasks not listed here.
- Oversees operations and functions of Youth/Children Services, Collection Management, and Technology.
- Develops and implements service goals/objectives, and programming for Youth services, and coordinates joint projects with other library divisions and City departments.
- Plans, organizes, assigns, and reviews the work of the public services functions to increase financial support among community and service groups.
- Reviews current collection and publishers' catalogues and selects new materials for the library.
- Assists in establishing standards and basics for materials collections and services.
- Devises control procedures to assure attainment of standards.
- Participates in the selection of professional and clerical personnel, including supervising, evaluating, and making personnel recommendations.
- Reads professional literature and studies current trends and professional techniques.
- Evaluates library programs in response to community needs.
- Develops and implements recommendations for improving library service and utilization of facilities.
- Researches, analyzes data, and prepares comparative and statistical reports.
- Proposes budget needs, including developing, writing, and coordinating library grants and contracts and monitors performance.
- Attends and participates in multi-agency and in-house professional meetings, including attending professional training to stay abreast of industry best practices.
- Acts for the City Librarian as assigned.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
Apply at: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/nationalca/jobs/3908167/principal-librarian/apply?pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
- Master's degree in library science; and
- Four (4) years of increasingly responsible professional library work, including at least one (1) year of supervisory experience.